Marzetti



Correct me if I'm wrong, but is Marzetti just some sort of pasta with a tomato sauce, mince and cheese? That's what my upbringing has told me.


Marzetti

500g macaroni pasta
1 Tbsp oil
2 onions (finely chopped)
5 cloves garlic (minced)
300-500g mince
2 x 420g (ish?) chopped tomatoes
1/2 can water
1 oxo beef stock cube
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp salt
A few cracks of pepper
1 cup grated cheese

Heat oil in a saucepan. Cook onions and garlic. Add mince and brown. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer until thick. Cook pasta. Stir the grated cheese through the pasta and then pour over the sauce (I used most of the sauce, all but about 1 cup). Stir until well mixed and the cheese is all melted and making the sauce nice and cheesy. You want it to be the consistency of mac and cheese, not that cheesy, but not too saucy.

------------

Addendum: Turns out it's Marzetti not Marsetti. Check out my sister's comment and link on this post if you want more info. (And why not click through to her blog too? It's great)

2 comments:

Angela said...

First, I'm Mariah's sister.

Okay, funny story. I was talking to a friend from Canada, and said, "I think I'll make Marzetti for dinner"...he looked at me quizzically. "You know, Marzetti."

Nothin'.

I then continued, "Maybe it's just a U.S. thing" (previously thinking all North Americans must have heard of the dish, right? I mean, my mother referred to it so confidently by that name!) We lived in West Mansfield, Ohio, about and hour out of Columbus, and my mother served Marzetti as a family fallback food for my entire upbringing.

SO...I decided it was time to find out the origins of this dish's name.

And find them I did.

Origins: Columbus, Ohio.

Seriously.

Not just the Eastern States (where we lived) or the West Coast (where my mother grew up)...no, no, it originates from THE state we were all born in.

So...Mary Lou, don't be surprised if there are few folks who haven't heard of the dish. Although its name and reputation have of course spread. (Search any online recipe treasure trove.)

Source:
http://www.ohiohistorycentral.org/entry.php?rec=3335

Mariah said...

That's so funny! No wonder (all the blank faces I've looked into on naming the dish)! Of course you found the origins of Marzetti. You're awesome.

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment telling me what you're having for dinner tonight, and feel free to leave a link to a recipe or post of your own. Let's make a great big list. It's all about inspiration people!

 
What I'm having for dinner © 2008 | Créditos: Templates Novo Blogger